Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thursday, October 9th - 4:30am

There is voluntary activity in the Weeks / Smith household. As was the case 2 years ago when my mother-in law (Julie) and sister-in law (Abby) rolled into town during balloon fiesta, I INSISTED that my visiting mother (Jeanette) we head over to Balloon Fiesta park for the special shapes mass ascension. I advised both parties that it would hurt mightily but it would be completely worthwhile.

This year - I was especially right. It was one of the coolest experiences. There were so many special shapes that at one point I said 'hey mom look there's a something' and she says 'oh yeah I saw that one taking off'. (I'm slow).

The boys both had a great time. Everywhere Jarod looked he'd say 'look there's a something' or 'look mom what's that'. At one point Zachary saw a balloon that was to much for him and he did his I'm completely excited talking and expressions (see pictures).

After the special shapes were all off the ground they cleared the field for competition. The idea was the balloons would take off (from a field just to the north of balloon fiesta park) and they had to pilot to the park where they would drop a flag from the gondola to a designated 'pole'. The pilot who's flag was closest to the pole wins (I think they win money but I really don't know). There was a pole about halfway and the pilots would get close enough to touch it (they won nothing but mighty cheers from the crowd for that). There were HUNDREDS of balloons in this competition... they kept coming and coming and coming. All flying less than 50 feet off the ground in 75% of the cases. Remembering that you can not 'steer' a balloon... there were pilots that came across the field, headed west toward the river, came back north, then east and finally west BACK over balloon fiesta park. That was TRULY amazing. The Albuquerque box is what allows them to fly in a square - but I'd never seen it in action. The skill required to hit the winds going the correct direction at the correct altitude just blows my mind. Seeing all those balloons was just as cool as the special shapes mass ascension.

Of course we couldn't leave without purchasing a big huge bag of cinnamon roasted almonds. mmmm mmmm mmmm Both boys were asleep in the car before we were to far away from the park.

If I had to summarize it.. I'd use Jarod's words: Mommy that was AWESOME!

2 comments:

Foxyboxy said...

One of these years I'm bringing Christopher to the Balloon Festival. He's been to Albuquerque, obviously, but not during the right part of the year! jealous!

GrandmaJ said...

I'm pretty sure you neglected to classify the whole balloon experience as what it really was...mandatory fun. (And, it really was great fun, in spite of what I thought at first.)