Tuesday, July 1, 2008

And... she's BAAACK!!!

Well I must say - 4 1/2 days is a long time to be away from my kiddos. But I'm home and hopefully I gained a few more doses of patience. Alright.. so I must tell all about my trip!!!

There were 7 of us, representing 19 children's moms. Of course we couldn't go all that time and not come up with nicknames.. I think we were sworn to secrecy to not tell who's was what.. but I went with Joy, Jamie, Tracy, Karen, Mieke, Sarah and me... I came home with Stubs, Boss, Juanita, Short Stuff, Jelly Belly, Webz and Nelly (unofficial I think).

We left Thursday and drove to Tuscon. We stayed with Mieke's inlaws (note to self: if you want to get somewhere... print your own map... Mieke is VERY helpful with 'oh shoot.. turn around that was it').

Friday we headed off to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco). It took me about 2 minutes to toss my bags in a room, change and be ready for the beach. Funny enough.. everyone walked out on the beach, turned around and sat by the pool. Everyone that is but Jamie and I. I just drove 11 hours - no sitting by the pool for me!!! The only drawback to the beach is that there are TONS of Mexican's selling things... jewelry, hats, sunglasses, cover-ups, masks, porch decorations, etc. So you don't really have any peace b/c you are always saying 'no thank you'. Unless you are with Jamie, who looks at about everything and then you end up having to say no about 8 times before they finally leave after you've 'looked'. At around 9pm we decide that it'd be a good idea to go eat.. so we head to Hacienda de la something... directions: 'Ok go to main road.. there'll be a huge sign that says something something, can't miss it. We'll turn there then the restraunt will be down the street'... I think it was about 45 minutes after that we FINALLY found it. Sure enough the sign was unmissable... to bad we turned BEFORE it. However, the food was GREAT!!!!!!

That night as we were debating on sleeping arrangments Sarah and I decided that the couch bed would stink. So we found these long, thick foam pads, perfect little cot mattresses... we took them out on the balcony and all 3 nights we slept on our little pads on the balcony. Funny enough only one fly ever bothered me, although Saturday night I found a HUGE cocroach (before I went to bed) - which Tracy was kind enough to 'shew' off the side of the balcony.

Now Saturday was a great day!!! The girls wanted to go to town shopping... Can you hear the conversation in my head? beach.... shopping.... beach.... shopping..... hmmm Back to the beach I go with Jamie... 'have fun shopping girls! Find me a hat!!' When they got back they'd run into the friend of the family who owns the condo we stayed at. He and his wife are in the final stages of construction on their new condo... 15th floor, 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms (maybe 6) HUGE kitchen... and a balcony that would make anyone completely gah-gah. He had invited the girls over to the new condo. So off we went. We layed out at the pool and then he found us and took us up to see his new place. While at the pool Jamie and I decided that we'd really love to go parasailing - if the price was right. After looking at the new condo, the girls all went down to the beach to take a banana boat ride. Hmmm.. I was on the WRONG side. I got tossed 4 times.. the other side - once. It was fun.. but I lost my sunglasses (on my last toss). Then we went to find out about parasailing. After talking him down a few dollars, and scrounging around borrowing $$$ (since none of us brought down much) up Jamie and I went. Oh man - it was GREAT!!!! So peaceful.. it was super smooth and relaxing. I don't know what I thought it'd be like - but what it WAS like I loved!!! For dinner the girls went to a restraunt where the fixed up whole chickens right in front of you.. Hmmm.. lets see... who do you know who doesn't do bones??? I opted to stay behind and hold down the fort.. that turned into a nice little nap. That night we went down the beach for the sunset. All the girls went swimming in the ocean - all but me. I was FREEZING so the water wasn't appealing. Turns out - thank GOODNESS for cold!! I was just about to give in and go in when there's these screams coming from the water. I look over and the girls are all running out of the water. Turns out it was a great night for the jellyfish.. 3 of the girls got stung. Sorry girls!

Sunday everyone went off to church... I might have just stayed back and slept in. When I got up I went back down to the beach. I was down there about 3 hours (they'd gone shopping after church). Then we headed back over to the other condo to go to the pool. It was just a nice chill day. When we got back some of the girls decided to make dinner... but Sarah, Mieke and I went out on the quads. Lets just say I'm a WUSS!!! Sarah was INSANE... Mieke just drove fast.. and I was slow. I got stuck on a hill - couldn't get it in reverse.. Sarah had to come up and rescue me.

I'm sure the girls thought I was anti-social... I had just drove 650 miles- I was going to be at the beach as much as possible! They'd look around - and I'd be gone. Love you girls - but I'm a beach bum!!!!

Although I had an absolute FANTABULOUS time I was very ready to come back home to my family. Zachary was very excited and all but wiggled out of his swing to get to me. Jarod said 'oh there's mommy' then waited a couple of minutes before running to me and making me pick him up for hugs and kisses. Jake might have felt left out b/c I hugged and loved on the boys before going and giving him his loves. (Sorry hunny).

I really would like to try to go back soon. The drive wasn't horrible - and the beach was WONDERFUL!!!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hey Marybeth!!! That sure was a fun trip, and I am so glad that we both were there to enjoy the beach. The pool came nowhere close to the awesomeness of the awesome beach and parrasailling!!!
SO MUCH FUN!!!